Citizens Police Academy
In a time where the big buzz word is TRANSPARENCY, the Willimantic Police Department offers you it's Citizens Police Academy. The Academy provides citizens with the opportunity to learn about the Willimantic Police Department. The Academy is a FREE ten (10) week program, and will cover the following topics:
- Patrol Services
- Firearms and Use of Force
- DUI Enforcement
- School Resource Officer
- Search and Seizure
- Dispatch Services
- Community Policing
- Child Investigations Unit
- K-9 Unit
- Detective Division
- Domestic Violence
- Hiring & Training of New Officers
The Willimantic Police Department Citizens Police Academy is held in the Police Department’s Community Room. During the ten weeks, the Academy meets every Wednesday from 6:00PM to 9:00PM. There are some other aspects of the application process that must be adhered to and they are as follows:
- Applicants must be at least 17 years old at the time the selected session starts.
- Applicant selection is based on the following order:
1. City of Willimantic residents
2. Persons working within the city of Willimantic
3. Persons going to school within the city of Willimantic
4. Persons living outside the city of Willimantic
- Applicants must submit their social security numbers for a criminal history check.
- Applicants possessing a driver’s license are required to submit their respective driver’s license number.
Please remember to complete the application in its entirety. Applications must be returned to the Willimantic Police Department no later than September 7th, 2018. Session size is limited to 25 students.
For questions please call 860-465-3135, ext. 284. Applications are also available at the Willimantic Police Department or the City Manager’s Office at the Town Hall.
Lt. Doug Glode